x360Recover Agent Release Information
Targeted release starting October 5 2022
x360Recover agent 2.36 is a maintenance release. The focus of this release is to reduce backup failures by enhancing agent logging. The improved logging will aid with monitoring and troubleshooting. This release also enhances Smart Recovery to improve system bootability in some edge cases.
Summary of enhancements
- Improved logging of agent backup status and operations
- Improved logging and error reporting for errors related to appliance conditions
- Improved logging and error reporting for errors related to VSS failures
- Improved logging and error reporting for errors related to disk IO failures
- Improved logging and error reporting for errors related to resuming a backup
- Smart Recovery support for MBR System boot partition on a separate disk from Windows / C
Summary of bug fixes
- Fixed issues where a backup job may hang due to failing VSS writer(s)
- Fixed edge case issue with encryption of local cache password
- Fixed case where agent may lose connection to Backup Manager and fail to complete backup
Agent monitoring and Windows event logs
Agent 2.36 introduces improved Windows event logging. This is intended to make troubleshooting more user-friendly, especially for remote monitoring via RMM tools.
Previously, the agent essentially dumped everything being recorded to the agent log file on disk out to the Windows event logs.
Going forward, the improved logging system will split this information:
- Detailed diagnostic and debug-level logging will continue to be written to the agent log files for forensic analysis
- Windows event logs will now be tuned to focus on more human-readable content and specific events and notifications.
This split will allow documentation of all specific event log cases and remediation steps recommended to address failures, where appropriate.
Agent 2.36 introduces the first wave of changes to agent logging to reach this goal, covering basic agent state and status changes, as well as the most common backup failure cases.
Additional agent 2.36+ Windows logging events documentation can be found here:
Auto Update Best Practices|
We recommend that Enable Auto Update is enabled on the Settings -> Update Manager page on each of your x360Recover devices.
We also recommend that you enable Auto-Enable Remote Assist When Upgrading so that remote access will be available to our development team should something go wrong with your upgrade.
This will ensure that your x360Recover devices are updated with the latest software enhancements in a timely fashion, and that the x360Recover Support team will have a short window of time to access and repair any troublesome devices without requiring user intervention.
SUPPORT | 720-204-4500 | 800-352-0248
1264 | 1288