Re-register WMI Writer in VSS.
- Windows Server
Symptoms / Description
Backup jobs fail due to the VSS WMI Writer being in a failed state.
Run "vssadmin info" at the command prompt on the client and look for the following State and Last Error on the WMI Writer. The VSS WMI Writer may have become unregistered.
Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
State:  Failed
Last error: Retryable error
To register the VSS WMI Writer:
- Open an commandline console
- cd %windir%\system32\wbem
- for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s
- wmiprvse /regserver
- winmgmt /regserver
- net stop replibit
- net start replibit
- Check the backups
SUPPORT | 720-204-4500 | 800-352-0248
- To learn more about any of our Axcient products, sign up for free one-on-one training.
- Please contact your Partner Success Manager or Support if you have specific technical questions.
- Subscribe to the Axcient Status page for a list of status updates and scheduled maintenance.