Migrate to a new appliance
Note on migrating with resumable replication:
Starting in x360Recover 10.16.0, migration is performed using a resumable replication process.
Replicated data is no longer stored in a staging area on the receiving vault or appliance during the replication process. Instead, replicated data is ingested directly into the storage pool on the receiving device - in a single step. This resumable process allows Interrupted or failed jobs to be restarted, and retains previously replicated data on the receiving device.
Protected systems which are migrated from USB drives also benefit from direct ingestion to the storage pool during the import process.
Resumable replication eliminates the storage duplication issues during migration that affected previous releases.
Steps to migrate from one appliance to another
- Please migrate only ONE system at a time.
- Do not create a new user in the license portal for the new appliance. Instead, add a new location to the existing user account. If a new account is created in error (instead of a new location being added to an existing account), replication will not be able to continue on the new appliance.
Prepare the target appliance
STEP 1. Before performing a migration from one appliance to another appliance, you must first prepare the target appliance to receive the protected system data.
To prepare a target appliance, perform the following:
- Visit the License Portal at https://licensing.x360Recover.com
- Add a new location to the existing user account.
- If you intend to continue backups on the new appliance, assign the appropriate licenses to the new location to support the protected systems being migrated.
- Install x360Recover on the new appliance or purchase an Axcient appliance preloaded with x360Recover
- Complete the provisioning process on the new appliance and select this customer and this new location when prompted for customer.
STEP 2. Verify that no backup or replication jobs are active for the protected system by checking the, Backup and Replication pages on the Jobs menu.
STEP 3. Stop and Disable the Replibit Agent Service on the protected system
Configure the original appliance
STEP 4. On the original appliance, set the retention policy for each protected system being migrated to Basic and -1 .
Important note: These settings are needed so that snapshots will not be deleted while migration is being performed. Don’t forget to reset these retention settings later on the target appliance, once migration from the original appliance has completed.
STEP 5. On the original appliance, go to the Protected System Details page of the system you are migrating, and select the Migrate button.
If replication is configured for the protected system, replication settings (including remote connectivity settings defined on the Vault Settings menu of the appliance) will be copied and migrated to the new appliance.
Note: If active backup jobs or recovery operations are in use for this protected system, you will receive this warning:
Before continuing, verify that (a) no active backups are running and that (b) no protected system snapshots are in use by any recovery operations.
Choose the appliance migration method
STEP 6. Choose a migration method by clicking on the corresponding radio button from the following settings:
| If you select Migrate over Network, enter the IP address of the target appliance.
If you select Migrate over Network, enter the IP address of the target appliance.
Migrate using a USB drive:
If you select Migrate using USB Drive, choose the desired attached USB disk target. (If no USB drive appears available for selection, the appliance has not detected any connected removable media. Make sure you have connected the USB drive to the original appliance.)
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you choose to migrate via USB, a manually-entered encryption password is required to secure the data. Please do not lose this password as it cannot be recovered
STEP 7. After you have selected your desired migration type and have configured the settings, click Start to begin the migration process.
Monitor the appliance migration
STEP 8. Monitor the progress from the System tab on the Jobs menu pane.
When migrating over a network: The migration process will automatically complete in a single step: Data streams directly into the storage pool of the target appliance. All data transferred is ingested upon receipt. Interrupted (or failed) jobs may be restarted or retried and all data previously sent will remain intact as the transfer is resumed.
- You can verify that the migration job has completed successfully on both the original and target appliances.
- You can monitor the migration process from the System page on the Jobs menu
When migrating using a USB drive: Once the export process completes on the original appliance, connect the USB drive to the target appliance.
From the Protected Systems page, click Import and select the desired protected system.
You will be prompted for the Password which you entered previously while exporting the USB.
Configure the new appliance (agent or IP address)
STEP 9. Once the migration is successfully completed, you must either:
1. Configure the agent for the new appliance
- To update the agent on the protected system, you must edit the Aristos.cfg file on the protected system and change the value of SERVER=<IP address> to that of the target appliance
2. Change the IP address of the target appliance to match the original appliance.
- First, update the IP address of the original appliance from the System Settings -> Network Settings page. Use a setting that does not conflict on the network.
- Then, change the IP address of the target appliance to the IP address previously used by the original appliance.
STEP 10. After migration of all protected systems has been completed (from the original appliance to the target appliance) , visit the License Portal and delete the location associated with the original appliance.
This will revoke assigned licenses and remove the protected system data from Recover Manager.
Note: To verify that you are deleting the correct location, go to the original appliance, navigate to System Settings -> License Details and confirm this is the location you wish to delete:
STEP 11. The retention settings were temporarily adjusted during migration so that snapshots were not deleted while migration was performed. Don’t forget to reset these retention settings later on the target appliance, once migration from the original appliance has completed.
SUPPORT | 720-204-4500 | 800-352-0248
885 | 1134