Virtual Office: Recover to a virtual machine
What is x360Recover Virtual Office?
The cloud failover feature in x360Recover allows you to start virtual machines in the Axcient Cloud of one or more protected devices. You can then create a Virtual Office running within the Axcient data center, using matching existing server configurations.
Virtual Office lets you self-manage using a secure, web-based application, which includes role-based authentication with required MFA.
- Configure network settings for that virtual office
- Provide secure access to that Virtual Office by configuring VPN
- Configure Site to Site Open VPN, so multiple remote networks connect to that Virtual Office
- Allow VMs to access the internet by enabling outbound connections (disabled by default)
- Establish Port Forwarding rules
- Start the Virtual Office VMs of each server from separate restore points
- Instantly recover production servers and workstations in the Axcient Cloud
- Perform regular full-office recovery tests to ensure backups are always recoverable
This video demonstrates the spin-up process and walks through how you can use your Virtual Office:
How to launch Virtual Office
These instructions will walk you through performing a production virtualization, which would be used in the event of a disaster. This type pf local failover VM can be used to temporarily replace production devices until a permanent replacement is ready.
Please note that you can also use the Virtual Office to (a) create a test environment when you are evaluating potential hardware or software changes or (b) test the virtualization process to verify recovery points in case of a future emergency.
Get started: Access the RMC (Remote Management Console)
Log in to the x360 Portal at https://partner.axcient.com/login
|Note: If your cloud vault is in the Axcient Canada Data Center, please login to ca.axcient.net with your LP credentials to use Virtual Office functionality.|
Click Launch on the x360Recover tile.
The Remote Management Console (RMC) opens and displays the Dashboard.
Click the Clients tab on the left navigation of the Dashboard.
When the Client page opens, select the client you wish to recover by clicking on the desired client name.
When the desired client account page is open, click on the Recovery Wizard button in the top right navigation.
STEP 1: Review the types of recovery
All recovery methods supported by Axcient BDR are shown but if a recovery functionality is not currently available on the RMC, that choice will be greyed out.
STEP 2. Review virtualization options and select the desired method
The virtualization options are displayed.
Click Make it Virtual to continue to launch Virtual Office.
STEP 3. Select either a test virtualization or a production virtualization
A dialog window will open, presenting a choice between a test or a production virtualization.
- Select the Make it a Test option to test the virtualization process and verify the availability of recovery points in case of an emergency.
- Select Create Test & Dev Environment when evaluating potential hardware or software changes.
- Select the Run in Production option in the event of a disaster. This local failover VM can be used to temporarily replace production devices until a permanent replacement is ready.
STEP 4. Verify the virtual environment
Verify that the settings for this virtual environment are correct.
Under Services, please note that the Direct To Cloud and Cloud Archive options are unselected by default unless the Virtual Office is being started for a Direct-to-Cloud or vault-only device.
Confirm the gateway and met mask information for this client is correct.
To set up a subnet for the Virtual Office, configure the Gateway and Netmask fields
- In the Gateway field, enter the gateway IP address. This address should be the same as the default gateway on the physical network that the Virtual Office is trying to replicate. For example, if devices are on the 192.168.1.xxx network, the gateway will most likely be 192.168.1.1.
- In the Netmask field, enter the netmask value.
To add a new subnet for the Virtual Office, click + Add Another. Please note that you can add up to ten subnets. Subnets must not overlap with other subnets on the Virtual Office.
To delete a subnet, click the Trashcan icon.
Note on default selections
The options available on this page depend on the type of devices this client has.
- The Direct To Cloud option will be displayed if this client has at least one D2C device
- The Cloud Archive option will be displayed if this client has at least one vault-only device.
When this page is initially opened for this client, no services or devices will be selected by default.
- When this page is opened for a service, only this service will be pre-selected by default.
- When this page is opened for an appliance device, only its service option will be pre-selected by default.
- When this page is opened for a D2C device, only the D2Coption will be pre-selected by default.
- When this page is opened for a vault-only device, only the Cloud Archive option will be preselected by default.
When all information is correct, click Start Virtual Office to continue.
STEP 5. Virtual Office set up begins
The Virtual Office is being set up. You will taken to the Virtual Office when it is ready.
If you opt to close this window, you can access the Virtual Office from the dashboard later.
STEP 6. Stop and discard your virtual office when you are finished testing.
When you are performing virtual office testing, be frugal with your use.
- Start only the virtual machine you need to test.
- Shut down virtual machines that are no longer needed.
- Do not leave virtual machines running over the weekend unless you are specifically testing something that requires it.
Stop and discard your virtual offices when you are finished testing.
Unnecessary virtual offices left active with running virtual machines will incur unwanted overage charges.
SUPPORT | 720-204-4500 | 800-352-0248
- To learn more about any of our Axcient products, sign up for free one-on-one training.
- Please contact your Partner Success Manager or Support if you have specific technical questions.
- Subscribe to the Axcient Status page for a list of status updates and scheduled maintenance.
549 | 960
In this section
- Virtual Office - x360Recover Release Notes
- Introduction to x360Recover Virtual Office
- Virtual Office use & billing - x360Recover (VO)
- Start a Virtual Office - x360Recover
- Configure a Virtual Office - x360Recover
- Navigate a Virtual Office - x360Recover
- Create a Virtual Office Runbook - x360Recover
- Start a Virtual Office Runbook - x360Recover
- Edit, clone or delete a Virtual Office Runbook - x360Recover
- Connect to the VPN - x360Recover
- Edit VPN settings - x360Recover
- Site-to-Site Open VPN settings - x360Recover
- Configure IPSec site-to-site VPN settings - x360Recover
- DHCP settings - x360Recover
- Port forwarding for a virtual office - x360Recover
- Configure VM auto shutoff in Virtual Office tests