What's the difference between AutoVerify and Cloud AutoVerify?
AutoVerify (for x360Recover appliances) is part of x360Recover's nightly BootVM check process. It provides validation of the recoverability of snapshots on x360Recover backup appliances.
Cloud AutoVerify (for Direct-to-Cloud vault endpoints) brings all of the functionality of AutoVerify to Axcient-hosted vaults for Direct-to-Cloud endpoints. (Until v10.11, AutoVerify checks on vault endpoints could only be performed on self-hosted private cloud vaults.)
During the AutoVerify process, a number of tests are performed on the protected system to validate its data integrity. These tests include
- capturing a screenshot of the login page
- performing a heartbeat check to the testing services running on the VM
- verifying Microsoft Volume Shadowcopy Services (VSS) are functioning
- performing a full checkdisk scan on all data volumes.
We've chosen to implement Cloud AutoVerify testing on a tiered basis. This ensures that we limit the load and reduce the impact on other operations (such as Direct-to-Cloud backups, appliance to vault replications, Virtual Office recovery, and so on.)
Lighter operations will be performed more frequently, while heavier operations will be performed less frequently.
NOTE: In the preview release of AutoVerify included in 10.11.0, this feature will initially be turned off and hidden until a feature flag is set for individual vaults.
- Testing frequency controls will remain hidden and locked in their default state until a later release.
- Initial settings for Cloud AutoVerify will include a system boot test with heartbeat test and screen capture (to be run once every 24 hours) with a full checkdisk validation running at least once every 7 days.
- Once the Cloud AutoVerify feature flag has been enabled for a vault, configuring nightly boot checks for Direct-to-Cloud protected systems will be unlocked:
How to configure
Click BootVM under the Configure column on the Protected System
Then, click the check box to enable boot checks.
Axcient-hosted vaults report AutoVerify results on the Protected System Details page. (This is the same way appliances report such results.)
Based on the new tiered testing structure, results are broken up into multiple parts, showing the different testing intervals.
In this initial preview release, two sets of tests are performed independently of one another:
- Basic boot VM testing is performed once every 24 hours, (daily). This test includes a simple heart beat check, to confirm our communication services are alive and running within the VM. This test also includes a screenshot of the login screen.
- Advanced testing is performed once within every 7 days, (weekly). This test ncludes Microsoft VSS service testing and full checkdisk validation scanning of all protected system volumes.
Results of the most recent AutoVerify checks can be found on the Protected System Details page:
Note: Cloud AutoVerify is enabled only for Direct-to-Cloud endpoints on Axcient hosted vaults.
- AutoVerify testing for appliance-based protected systems can and should be performed on the appliance. Data replicated from an appliance to the vault is identical and there is no reason to perform redundant boot testing in the cloud for these endpoints.
Cloud AutoVerify will initially be monitored directly on the vault.
x360Recover Manager is being enhanced to report results from both vault-based Cloud AutoVerify as well as appliance-based traditional AutoVerify. These results will be integrated into protected system health monitoring reports. Once integrated, x360Recover Manager SLA-based alerts and daily digest reports will include AutoVerify status.
Additional enhancements and hardening for Cloud AutoVerify are planned over the next several x360Recover releases, as we identify any problems and streamline operations to support rollout to 100 percent of Direct-to-Cloud endpoints.
SUPPORT | 720-204-4500 | 800-352-0248
- Contact Axcient Support at https://partner.axcient.com/login or call 800-352-0248
- Free certification courses are available in the Axcient x360Portal under Training
- To learn more about any of our Axcient products, sign up for a free one-on-one training
- Subscribe to the Axcient Status page for a list of status updates and scheduled maintenance